Northwest students campaign to win the race for student body

Posters fill Northwest’s halls and campaigning fills social media. It’s time for Northwest’s student body elections, and we sat down with the candidates to get the inside scoop on their campaigns.

Madison Ayres

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: I really want to emphasize amping the school spirit at Northwest, because that’s such an important factor in bringing the school together and unifying everyone as a whole.

Q: What are some things you would like the student body to know about you?

A: I’m pretty involved with the school. I play volleyball and lacrosse. I write for the school newspaper, and I’m in National Honor Society.

Q: Should you win a role in office, what do you look forward to most?

A: I would really enjoy having the opportunity to keep improving aspects of Northwest and getting to work together with fellow students and classmates and teachers to just make the school a better place for everyone.

Wyatt Coon

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: I feel like compared to my friends at East and other schools, they all know each other, but at our school, you’re either a part of this team or this club, and you don’t really go out of that. I definitely wanna change that.

A: I’m in NHS. I play lacrosse. I love sports. People think I’m funny, and I have no pride. I’ll do whatever [the student body] says.

A: Honestly, the announcements. I promise to make them all really good. I’m really looking forward to the themes for the football games, and I’ll make the dances really good too.

Landon Clary

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: I wouldn’t say I have a basis, it’s more of that I’ve really felt like I need to start giving back to the school. One of the things I’ve really noticed is that there’s a lot of lonely people at Northwest, and I really wanna help decrease that number and help everyone feel more included.

A: I’m a D1 lacrosse commit and I’m involved in a lot of different groups like FCA and NHS. I definitely care about both the academic and school-spirit sides of school.

A: I’m really looking forward to being on the announcements. I just think it’s fun, and it gives you an opportunity to impact people’s moods in the morning if maybe they’re having a bad day and they hear the energy in your voice.

Emma Fagerberg

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: The basis of my campaign I would say would be to bring more unity to school, rather that be through school spirit or just promoting a positive attitude because at Northwest we’re always so focused on competing with one another and our class ranks and things like that, and in a way, I feel like that’s how we’re losing school spirit more than we are by just not caring about school. I would like to bring together the school and make everybody feel more spirted and connected and have better relationships with one another.

A: I’m the op/ed editor in journalism. I’m a National Honor Society member. I’m the president of the Gay-Straight Alliance. I’m in Spanish National Honor Society. I was involved in Student Council this year.

A: I’m most looking forward to staying on Student Council because I’ve had a lot of opportunities this year to do things and be involved around school that I really enjoyed, such as getting to paint the rock and helping out with Christmas families and organizing things around school.

Angela Seo

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: I’ve been in Student Council for three years and I think that based on what I’ve seen throughout my experiences, I definitely wanna increase our school spirit and help out more with school activities and making sure that the activities that Student Council does get better each year.

A: I’m currently the junior class vice-president. I do field hockey and lacrosse. I’m the Key Club editor. I’m the features editor in journalism. I’m the National Honor Society historian.

A: I’m definitely looking forward to decorating and getting ready for TWIRP and freshman orientation and other things, such as painting the rock.

Clayton Joyner

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: My basis of this campaign is just trying to bring back the school spirit to the school and just trying to make everybody love our school more and be proud of where we go, because it is a great school and people don’t really recognize that.

A: I’m involved in lacrosse and I’m also involved in the Pursuit of Truth Society. I’m also involved in Young Life, and that’s a big thing for me.

A: I’m looking forward to being able to interact with people and influence the school in ways that will help the students and other people.

Leah Johnston

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: More Viking spirit, something to do with the traffic, stuff like that

A: I have a job, so I work a lot. I’m in DECA, and I like to hang out with friends.

A: Just working with the other candidates

Gage Pickford

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: To increase school spirit and participation

A: I’ve been involved with Student Council for three years. I’m a captain for the varsity soccer team. I’m the president of the Fishing Club, and I’m in NHS.

A: Planning the dances and activities

Matthew Brewbaker

Q: What’s the basis of your campaign?

A: Mine is really just about supporting everyone. I’m the candidate that will just support you no matter what.

A: Personally, I’m involved with Speech and Debate. I’m involved with the community-based robotics team that works in our local community to promote STEM education. A lot of it is that I want to spread that educational knowledge and make sure that everyone is able to have the same educational opportunities that I’ve had.

A: I’m most looking forward to being able to represent the students, to be able to support all of the students, because that’s something where I feel I haven’t been as supported as I would want to be. I feel like if I throw myself out there, I’ll be able to show that support for other people that I want to be shown myself.